Our little Liam turned 6 months on the 19th. It is hard to believe a half of a year has passed....time has never seemed to move so quickly! Sweet Liam consumes our lives in the best possible way. Adam and I could not enjoy being parents any more than we do. We are so blessed, I pray each day that I will someday be deserving of this great blessing Heavenly father has given to me.
Liam's little personality is really budding. He is a happy baby with loads of smiles. He has a magnetic giggle that warms my heart. His need to know what is going on at all times, cracks us up. He never wants to miss out on the action and is constantly looking around, and observing everything. As you could imagine, his "need to be in the know" has cut down on the amount of time he wants to lay over your should and snuggle. (so sad for mom)
As a big 6 month old, Liam is on the brink of many new things. He is starting to understand and tries to duplicate waving hello (though we all kind of think his version of waving hello, looks more like the nazi salute, as he just lifts his arm out straight in front of him.) He is also, working on mastering the art of sitting independently. He can sit up on his own briefly, before drifting off to one side. We are certain it will not take long for him to grasp the concept of using his abbs to help maintain balance, as he still has the strongest baby abbs we have ever seen. Finally, Liam's days of being a toothless little boy are numbered, we can feel the efforts of a least two tiny teeth, beneath his gums, working to make their appearance.
I believe Liam is already exhibiting an early love of sports. He loves to watch basketball on Papa's lap and he loves to kick anything, esp. his little soccer ball. Baby guides talk about the fact that babies develop in a routine and patterned way learning essentially takes place from the top of the body and works it's way down, meaning babies become aware of their hands before their feet. Liam has been completely opposite, he began kicking before he started to even think about grabbing. He continues to develop his use of his feet, and will kick, stop, and almost dribble his little soccer ball ( with some assistance from Mom, Dad, Grandma, or Papa!) Seriously, he is quite good with the soccer ball.....I am thinking we just may have a budding soccer star on our hands!
Liam is truly a sponge, soaking up knowledge daily. It seems everyday, Liam picks up something new. Just this past week, Liam has become very aware he has joints. He has been circling his right ankle ( not the left) and his two wrists in circles.....he is rather amazed....we are amused by his darling delight in his own ability. He has also, learned how to vibrate his lips and blow mega bubbles....it is so funny.
He can roll over and over, and over again. It doesn't take long once he has been put down to roll from back to belly to back to belly! He still loves to " drink" out of any glass that anyone is drinking out of....he is a big boy and wants to be just like everyone else. He enjoys going with mommy on morning jogs, and does his very best to take in all the nature he can before he falls asleep. Liam still expresses a great interest in animals. Each week, we have an "animal day" and we make sure to take Liam to see some kind of live animals....he loves visiting the horses at the local arena, and seeing the toy size puppies at pocket puppies. He loves to swing both in Grandma and Papa's backyard, and at the park.
Liam is still sleeping about 11 hours each night, but only wakes 1 or 2 times to nurse. He is still napping through out the day....but I am starting to see the natural weaning of the late afternoon/ early evening nap.....I expect this nap-time will go extinct with in the next month or two. He is wonderfully easy to put to bed or down for a nap, not even a whimper of a cry. I am so grateful for this, as I could never be the kind of mom that lets her baby cry himself to sleep.....goes against my motherly instincts.The only difficulty we have in getting Liam to sleep, is to keep him from pulling the covers up over his face....he is rather fond of having blankets over his head and around his face (scares mom half to death!)
We still read each day, and have recently made Tuesdays our library days, where we attend lap time reading and rhymes and replenish our book supply for the week. Liam is proving to be sweet natured and social. I would say he rather loves attention, and still "fake" coughs when he doesn't feel like he is receiving enough.
Recently, we added "alone time" into his daily schedule. Liam gets about 10- 15 minutes where he gets to play with a selection of toys in his play pen, uninterrupted. I love to hide in the room and watch how he creatively uses this time to examine his toys in great detail; he shakes, pounds and cuddles with them. It is sweet to hear him laugh as a result of his own creative endeavors, as opposed to being provoked by one of us to laughter. I think " alone" time is important, as I want Liam to learn the skill of using his own imagination to occupy time, and be able to self entertain. As Liam gets older I want to encourage him to develop his creativity, and abilities. Though he is still just my wee baby boy, I do think there is a small amount of independence he is entitled to. As, he gets older, I will increase the amount of time he plays alone.....but I will always be secretly spying on my sweet boy around the corner.....someday, I will be peering into his room watching a little toddler at play!
Adam and I are just so in love with our sweet little Liam. We have been in a state of perpetual bliss these last 6 months. We treasure our time with Liam and make every effort to let Liam know how much he is loved. While we celebrate Liam reaching his 6 month milestone, we feel overwhelming gratitude, to be parents of sweet little Liam Carter Buhl.....what an imprint in our heart he has made!

No comments:
Post a Comment