Thursday, September 10, 2009

Berry Beautiful!

During the summer, there are blackberries that grow wild, near my parents house. We have gone out several times this summer to pick the berries and satisfy Adam's country roots. We froze most of the berries to use for smoothies. However, I tried a number of new delicious and healthy recipes, using the berries. I thought I would share a few of my favorites...

Blackberry and avocado salad:
Ingredients:2 packages (4 to 5 oz. each) fresh Naturipe® Farms blackberries, washed and drained1 tablespoon butter1 cup pecan halves1 package (6 oz.) salad greens or 6 cups torn mixed greens1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheeseDressing:3 tablespoons virgin olive oil2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar1 tablespoon honey1 small garlic clove, finely chopped1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard1/4 teaspoon sea salt1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
DirectionsIn small skillet, melt butter. Add pecans and saute until lightly browned. Cool and set aside. In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper, and set aside. In salad bowl, combine salad greens, blackberries, pecans, avocado and goat cheese. Pour on dressing and toss.

No sugar added freezer Jam:
Ingredients
4 pounds blackberries24 packets Truvia2 tsp cinnamon2 packages Ball No Sugar Needed Fruit Pection
Directions
Clean all blackberries before using. I filled a sink with cool water and them pulled them out. Place in large saucepan. Add 24 packets Truvia, cinnamon, and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in two packages of fruit pectin. I use Ball's No-Sugar Fruit Pectin because I don't use sugar! Bring to boil that does not stop or slow when stirring. Using the amount of blackberries and ingredients above, you will end up with about 10 1/3 cup jam. This means you have about 165 tablespoon servings!!

No comments:

Blog Archive