Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Prince and the Big Boy Potty...

I have always made an effort to talk to Liam about the things we are doing. I figure he is a sponge eager to soak up information. We talk when we drive in the car about all kinds of things, the other cars passing by, the weather anything really. Liam and I talk about whatever task we are working on, from cleaning the dishes to putting away laundry...I put my best effort forward into explaining and talking with him. I also do, what I call "potty talk." I read in a child development book, that exposing your children to the "potty process" helps them later when they attempt potty training. I recently, decided why not talk about the potty process, therefore "potty talk."

No more than 1 1/2 weeks into our new "potty talk" experience did Liam come running up to me pulling on my arms saying "poo poo." He pulled at me, insisting I follow him. I followed him right to the toilet where he pointed and again said "poo poo." I asked him if he wanted to sit on the big potty and he just kept pointing. Figuring I had been the one to stir up the toilet/ poo poo confusion I would just sit him on the potty, so at least he could connect with what I was asking him. So I placed him ( bare bottomed) upon the toilet and to my complete, I mean COMPLETE surprise he went poo-poo!

I was excited for him, as he was excited at himself. He loved being able to flush the potty and say "bye" to his poo-poo. In my head I was thinking "oh no!" what have I done?! I have confused this poor babe about the potty. Do I try to potty train him? He is so little! After I tucked Liam into bed that evening, I scrambled to research "what to do" on the internet. At first glance, I was reading a lot of headlines and articles stating that trying to potty train too early will cause potty problems later in life. Then, when I searched the topic "infant potty training" I came across thousands of articles that illustrate that in most parts of the world disposable diapers are rare and not widely used. In fact, the majority of the world's population actually is potty trained before age 2. The idea of potty training older than 2 years is very much an "American" perspective on potty training.

Reading such articles calmed my terror that I had done something horribly "wrong." I then, decided further read up on how to go about infant potty training, the pros and cons. Taking everything into account, Adam and I decided to pursue infant potty training with out a predetermined deadline of completion. Liam had started to tell us when he was going pee pee and every time when he went or had to go poo poo. So, I took Liam to the store, we picked out a potty just his size and he picked out his undies with trucks. We prepped our home, lightened our schedule and here we stand right in the middle of potty training at 16 months! Liam has gone on his potty a number of times now, and is becoming more consistent at using the potty. He even went on the Potty at his gym class! I never imaged we would be doing this so early, I like changing his diapers and feeling like he is still somewhat a babe. However, we are so proud of our underwear clad little boy. I always vow to talk to Liam about all kinds of things. I am learning through the power of communication, many doors can open, new experiences can happen and lives can change. We are very proud of you, our little Prince!


1 comment:

JillEE said...

I have loved reading all your updates! He is such a cute boy and will be such a fun big brother. I'm so glad we got to see you guys!

Blog Archive